Mango and Tomato Salad
A refreshingly light and summery mix of fresh mangoes, tomatoes and cucumber, this mango and tomato salad is a fast and easy side dish to go with grilled or fried chicken.
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 5 plump and juicy tomatoes
- 2 small onions
- 6 stalks scallions finely sliced
- 4 tablespoons torn cilantro
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Slice the mangoes to remove the stones. Cut the mango meat into small squares without piercing the skin. Scoop out with a spoon directly into a bowl.
- Peel the cucumbers (see notes after the recipe), scoop out and discard the seeds, then cut the cucumber flesh into cubes about the same size as the mangoes.
- Cut the mangoes into halves, scoop out and discard the seeds, then cut the flesh into small cubes (see notes after the recipe).
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, scallions and cilantro to the mango in the bowl. Toss gently.
- Stir together all the ingredients for the dressing until the no solids are visible.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the contents of the bowl. Toss everything together. Taste. If under-dressed, drizzle in the remaining dressing and toss a few more times.
If the skins of your cucumbers are thin, there is no reason why you can’t leave them on. The dark green skin adds another bright color to the salad. Updated from a recipe originally published in March 9, 2010.